Monday, August 3, 2009

How to blog while on cold medicine

This is an older blog I found while I was transferring files from my old computer. I'm sick, so it'll have to do until I can think of something other than when my next dose of medicine is coming.

The title is "I have beef"

... I got it on sale, but i forgot to buy buns, or mustard, or chips, so it's not gonna be much of a barbecue.

... But what really ticks me off is the way some women seem to be hell bent on being miserable. mebbe it's a symptom of our society, but it's like we want everyone to feel bad about themselves all the time. why else would we be constantly inundated with images, videos, movies and commercials featuring either some paper-thin waif, or some mammoth-bosomed amazon woman?

Sure, images like these sell products, but there are repercussions.

We live in a very shallow society, as I think I already mentioned, and we place far, far too much emphasis on appearances. It’s unfortunate, but I don't think it's an excuse for self pity (there is no excuse for self pity in my humble opinion).

That’s why, when i hear some perfectly good-looking chickadee bemoaning herself like she's been beaten with the ugly stick, it makes me a little angry. I can't stand the thought of the hell people put themselves through just because they don't look like supermodels and actresses.

Let’s get this straight ... actresses, models, playmates, and whatnot exist for the sole purpose of making other people feel inadequate. When people feel inadequate, they compensate by buying stuff ... usually stuff that's advertised by the very same models that made them feel inadequate in the first place. We've been conditioned over the years to believe that spending money/having new things makes us happy, so it works for a little while ... we get happier, until we come across another ad in another magazine, or see another commercial for another kind of cell phone (or whatever), and the cycle starts all over again.

It’s disgusting.

So I try, in my own little way, to counteract this societal disease by remembering that beauty really is only skin deep. In fact, it's usually even shallower than that, like only as deep as the first three or four layers of makeup (I’m also strongly anti-makeup, but that's a lost cause, I know). I try to remember that in nine out of ten cases, the "beautiful" people ... the ones with what we might as well call popular beauty ... are dumb as dirt, mean as hell, snooty as all get-out, or all three. These are not what I call appealing character traits.

I’ve even known people who've gotten cosmetic surgery, and the outcome is routinely just like what happened to Peter Griffin in that one episode of Family Guy. They become mannequins with no more personality than your average bucket of dirty mop water, and then they whine and complain when all their friends get sick of hearing them talk about themselves and move off in search of less annoying climes.

There are drop dead gorgeous people out there who you'll never see in any magazine, though. There are people whose beauty will literally take your breath away, if you can just take the time to appreciate it. There are people who we really should all aspire to be, and they're not in movies or commercials, because they look like the rest of us ... just normal ("we call you 'normies'").

So I say damn the man, don't accept the standards that Wall Street advertisers have set for us. Don’t let some corporate A-hole tell you what's pretty and what's not. Remember that you, and only you, can decide what is truly beautiful, and that there really is more to life than looking good, especially if looking good involves permanently altering your body, because rubber boobs and plastic noses are creepy.


... I think I was frustrated about something when I wrote this. Couldn't tell you what it was, though.

Ah well, I'll catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment